At Founders Pledge, our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to do immense good. Since launching in 2015, our members have pledged to donate over $4 billion to charitable causes. We offer the simplest path to impact for successful entrepreneurs, providing end-to-end giving infrastructure, pioneering research, and access to a worldwide network of experts. In other words, we help tech leaders become strategic philanthropists. Our 1600+ members include the people behind industry-leading companies such as Dropbox, Skype, Spotify, Uber, and Airbnb.
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Researcher
, with the particular ability to discover new high-impact funding opportunities in longtermism
. You’ll join our Research Team, who provide recommendations across a range of cause areas as follows: (1) the long-term future of humanity, (2) helping the current generation & people living today, (3) animal welfare.
Reporting to our Research Director
, you’ll be highly motivated to work on problems affecting the long-term future. You’ll bring new ideas and methodology to the team to discover and evaluate funding opportunities. You’ll have an active interest in the ideas of Effective Altruism and will focus on impact maximisation. This is a fantastic opportunity to ensure that the most funds possible are donated to the highest-impact causes globally, driving your own research projects to completion.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Finding, evaluating and recommending High Impact Funding Opportunities (HIFOs) in one or more pressing longtermist problem areas that our members might fund, and writing research reports, briefs, and other materials to support these recommendations.
- Selecting research projects in collaboration with the Research Director, autonomously executing research projects and working with other researchers involved in these projects.
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of our research methodology.
- Working closely with our Advisory and Programmes teams to ensure that our latest research is being accurately and effectively represented, including writing reports, blog posts and contributing to events.
Up to £52,500/$90k/€60kLocation:
UK, USA, Europe, flexible remote.Applications for this role will close on 9th July 2021.
You’ll be either a highly competent and adaptable generalist or an adaptable research specialist in a longtermist problem area to excel in this role. You might have experience in:
In addition to this, you’re likely to have:
- HIFO research
- Causal inference and model-building
- Longtermist cause prioritisation methodology
- A research background in international relations / governance / security
- A research background in institutions, policy and politics
- A research background in existential risks
- Another research background that equips you to identify high-impact funding opportunities from a longtermist lens
- A passion and the motivation to work on problems affecting the long-term future.
- The confidence and experience to lead your own research, working independently.
- An understanding of impact maximisation and the nuances of charity evaluation from multiple worldviews.
- The ability to independently adapt and change direction to meet Founders Pledge’s goals.
- Excellent analytical skills: Comfort working with systematic quantitative frameworks; understanding of, and the ability to build, quantitative models.
- Good calibration: Knowledge of the extent of your own knowledge, and a good sense of how confident you should be in your beliefs.
- Intellectual curiosity and openness: A willingness to consider alternative points of view, to follow good arguments wherever they lead, and an openness to changing your mind.
- Clear writing: The ability to express nuanced evidence and complex concepts in a clear way.
- Conscientiousness and prioritisation: A willingness to work hard and to focus time on top priorities.
- Good judgement: For example, the ability to decide how long to spend on a project, or on what sections to include in a report.
- The ability to work well with others, to communicate honestly and directly, and to be open to feedback.
- Willingness to work in a high-growth, dynamic startup environment and comfortable with ambiguity.
- The ability to lead continuous improvement of our research methodology as part of a team.
Why work with us?
You can find more about the benefits we offer here
, but what makes us truly special is both our mission and our people. We’re a diverse team, from both charitable and commercial backgrounds, who believe that amazing things can happen when we tackle problems together. We offer a flat structure and an opportunity to help shape the future of philanthropy.
We have a global flexible first
approach to working. This means that there's no expectation for you to attend an office on a regular basis. At the same time, if you think you’d benefit from a desk in a co-working space close to your home, this can be arranged. Otherwise, you just need a great home wifi connection and we’ll provide you with everything else you need to be successful in your role.
On top of this, we’ll bring the global team together twice per year (when it’s safe to do so)!We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Founders Pledge. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace where everyone can do their best work.Please upload your CV and optional work sample.