At Founders Pledge, our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to do immense good. Since launching in 2015, our members have pledged to donate over $5 billion to charitable causes. We offer the simplest path to impact for successful entrepreneurs, providing end-to-end giving infrastructure, pioneering research, and access to a worldwide network of experts. In other words, we help tech leaders become strategic philanthropists. Our 1600+ members include the people behind industry-leading companies such as Airbnb, UiPath, Dropbox, Skype, Spotify, and Uber.
About the role
We’re looking for a Junior Community Manager to join our growing, global Community team who are responsible for guiding our members through their philanthropic journey towards maximised impact. Our Community Managers are the first people our members meet once they have signed their pledge. You will be their main point of contact as you help them navigate all that Founders Pledge has to offer its community – such as our Philanthropic Advisory service, our research, our events & programming and our Donor Advised Fund – so that by the time they reach liquidity they have a deep understanding of how to have the most impact with their philanthropy.
Reporting to our Head of Community, you will take responsibility for a number of our US-based members, predominantly on either the East or West Coast. You will build meaningful and impactful relationships with our members (who are either founders (CEOs and CTOs), entrepreneurs or investors) and be the trusted, intellectual thought partner to help them think through their giving. You will be as comfortable hosting events (from small Jeffersonian dinners, to book clubs and panel discussions) as you are having one-on-one conversations directly with a member via email or on the phone, and you will be energised by working collaboratively across the entire organisation to ensure the best outcome for our members. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team and develop your skills as a community manager as we continue to build our global community.
There will be plenty of variety in your role and you will have the opportunity to shape the focus of your work based on the needs of our members, but you will generally be responsible for:
- Undertaking welcome calls with members who have just signed their pledge, understanding their motivations for giving and their philanthropic needs and tailoring their experience to optimise for impactful giving
- Attending and hosting events on both the East and West Coast (generally San Francisco and New York City) as well as virtually, and working with our Programmes team to ensure our members are invited to the events they will most resonate with
- Meeting with our members (both in-person and virtually) to help them engage with Founders Pledge through our events, connecting them to charities, involving their families in their philanthropic journey, and much more
- Maintaining excellent data records that both enable you to fully understand our members while also ensuring that every other team who interacts with them has all the relevant information at their fingertips
- Improving and innovating around our member experience, collaborating across the organisation
Location: San Francisco
Overall, we’re looking for someone who is an excellent and natural relationship builder who can think creatively and holistically about each of our members’ journeys towards philanthropy and can bring together all the pieces of our offering to maximise the impact of their giving. You will have a true intuition for great customer service and know how to interact with entrepreneurs, founders, CEOs and HNWIs as a peer.
Your ability to think and work proactively to quickly understand what needs to be done will help you thrive in this role, as will your empathy and bias towards collaboration. Your genuine curiosity and interest in learning about what Founders Pledge has to offer our members will drive your success.
We would love to speak to people who have:
- Experience building and stewarding relationships directly with individuals on a 1:1 basis - this may have come in the form of previous professional experience within a client/donor-facing role or customer service
- Empathy, tact, and the ability to interact with our members on an equal level
- Excellent communication and listening skills, able to understand the needs of our members through careful questioning and conversation
- An ability to distill complex concepts into accessible information in a persuasive way
- Experience and background within the tech sector, philanthropy sector and/or working with donors would be a bonus
Why work with us?
You can find more about the benefits we offer here, but what makes us truly special is both our mission and our people. We’re a diverse team, from both charitable and commercial backgrounds, who believe that amazing things can happen when we tackle problems together. We offer a flat structure and an opportunity to help shape the future of philanthropy.
We have a global flexible first approach to working.
If successful, you’d be working closely with members in San Francisco, as well as across on the East Coast. Therefore you’ll need to be within a commutable distance of San Francisco and excited to travel. There’d be no expectation for you to attend our office on a regular basis, so you just need a great home wifi connection and we’ll provide you with everything else you need, but you would be expected to attend events and meetings in San Francisco and travel as necessary. If you think you’d benefit from a desk in a co-working space closer to your home, this can also be arranged.
On top of this, we’ll bring the global team together twice per year (when it’s safe to do so)!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Founders Pledge. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace where everyone can do their best work.